Sunday, February 24, 2008

The war on the Oxalis weed continues


I spent the weekend pulling this obnoxious weed from my back garden. This is like guerilla warfare; I move from one bed to another and then I find that the beds I cleaned up two weeks ago have new weeds growing!
I am holding firm on not using chemicals as long as my knees and back hold out. I am hoping that at some point I can pull out all the tubers and the war will be won.
After
After removing all the weeds, I pulled out all my Rain Lily bulbs and re-planted them.

6 comments:

gintoino said...

rusty, I've been fighting oxalis in my garden for the last few years and thats a battle I'm far from winning. I hope you have better luck than me.

Robin's Nesting Place said...

I love your flower garden! So creative and interesting to see.

Mr. McGregor's Daughter said...

Wow, that's a lot of weeding! Eternal vigilence is the way for the weeder who doesn't want to use chemicals. I spent 2 summers pulling out Ground Ivy/Creeping Charlie from my lawn. Now, I have to inspect it a couple times a week in summer to prevent further invasions. Good luck.

Unknown said...

My knees hurt just seeing all that you accomplished, Rusty! The end results look great, though, so hopefully things will work out well. Maybe there's something you can mulch heavily enough with that the oxalis won't come back. I'm rootin' for you!

Jeanette said...

Hi Rusty, I think your got a battle on your hands trying to rid your garden of that pesty oxalis weed. Ive been pulling them out for years. my sister sprays hers it kills whats there but as soon as that lot dies more appear in the same spot.. Pleased you like her "orange begonia" Ive just planted a piece of her hoping it grows,,,

Anonymous said...

I just pulled mine this past weekend. Spent 2 hours on getting every little guy I saw. I know they will be right back in a few weeks though.