Sunday, March 13, 2016

Oxalis, a garden favorite or is it a weed?

This time of the year my South Florida garden gets overrun by these weeds with shamrock shape leaves and cute pink flowers.  The Oxalis plants grow everywhere, pulling them out of the ground is a waste of time.  My attitude is, if you can’t beat them join them.  This was not my intention for this hanging basket, but I have to admit it doesn’t look that bad.


 After a rainy January, our weather turned more traditional, with no rain during February and the first two weeks in March.  Today we got a good shower, first time in weeks; good thing because my rain barrels were already dry.


This week at the DragonFly garden.

The hibiscuses are flowering this winter.


















The Mexican flame vine is looking great after a couple of years of little flowers.


















Friday I was off from work and I took my wife out to lunch to our favorite place.  The Florida Keys; one hour away from our home, the pace of life there is slower, the scenery is beautiful and the seafood restaurants are out of this world.   



2 comments:

Stellamarina said...

Lovely pictures of your garden as usual. My father used to hate oxalis in the garden but now I see people on foraging blogs eating the leaves in salads.

Susan said...

That Mexican flame vine is a beauty! I agree with your philosophy on oxalis. The plant is pretty and so is the flower. Sometimes you just gotta go with it!!! Enjoy spring.