Sunday, January 07, 2018

2018 a year of change

2017 was not an easy year for me, consequently the garden was not a priority for my time.  One of my New Year's resolution is to spend more time cultivating my little piece of paradise.  I started this week, I hope to make many changes that I will share with all of you.   



In my previous post I wrote that I was taking a time off from my vegetable garden.  The lady of the house (and cook) asked me to reconsider.  This weekend I planted a small kitchen garden, we have rosemary. oregano, basil, cilantro, cherry tomatoes, Swiss chard and chives.




This was a good time to rearrange all my containers behind the house.  

My collection of cactus and succulents did not fair well last year.  Too much rain was not a good formula for these plants. Yesterday I took out the ones that didn't make it.

This new water fountain was a Christmas gift.  It now seats in my patio in full view from inside my house.

Stag horn plants were one of my Dad's favorite plants, he had them allover his garden, this one in my backyard came from his garden.  My father passed away on December 27, after 104 years of a life well lived. He was a gentle soul, a plant whisper, a nature lover, a good husband, a great father and an even better grandfather.  I will never be able to look at theses plants again without thinking of him. 

4 comments:

FlowerLady Lorraine said...

May you be able to be out in your gardens more in 2018. It looks like you are off to a good start. Your fountain is lovely.

I'm sorry for the loss of your dear father. He sounds like he was a wonderful man.

FlowerLady

Meta/roses. said...

Your father had a long and well-lived life. You have many happy memories of him.
Wishing you a better gardening 2018.

Misti said...

Wow, what a long life your father lived! I know many plants remind me of my grandmother---I'm glad you have something to remember your father by!

I think 2017 was a hard year for many people in the garden. Hopefully 2018 is fabulous! Look forward to seeing what you grow.

Anonymous said...

So sorry to hear about your Father . . . but what a blessing to have such a wonderful man in your life for so long. In some ways, your garden will now become a "memory garden" because of his plants. I, too, have a "memory garden" . . . and it's quite a blessing.

I've been following your blog (quietly) for years. Such an oasis you have there.

May 2018 allow you the time to fulfill your New Year's resolution ~ I look forward to following along.