Saturday, August 25, 2018

Gardening on the ruins

I started a new garden on the ruins of my former vegetable plot.  When I started gardening several years ago, I designated the strip of land between my neighbor’s house and my home, the perfect place for a vegetable/herb winter garden.  This area received several hours of sun during winter and it was out of sight.  The first few years produced plentiful harvest and based on that success, I decided to expand it.  I added building blocks, soil and added more vegetables and herbs.  The first two years produced mix results.  I couldn’t understand why, until one day when I realized that all the fruit trees that I had planted in my backyard had grown and were blocking the winter morning sun, this area of the garden was only getting a couple of hours of late afternoon sun.  
Two years ago, I moved the garden to containers next to the kitchen and the old vegetable garden became a dumping ground for unwanted plants.  Today some of those plants have grown and it was time for a redo.




 I have two lemon trees in containers, and both are doing well this year.

The squares in the building blocks are perfect to plant bromeliads
and succulents.





New stock of bananas opened up this week
 

 Rain Lilies around St Francis, it looks very peaceful and appropriate

Once a year, late in the summer, this white orchid put on a show


 Another picture from my Lomography art lens


1 comment:

daisy g said...

Lovely lush garden! What a blessing to have lemons and bananas in your yard. I found your blog on Eli's Place and am so glad I came for a visit!
Enjoy your weekend.