Sunday, December 16, 2018

The worst orchid collector.

I love orchids, who doesn’t?  but I have the worst luck growing them.  For some reason that I cannot explain, most of my orchids don’t flower for a second time, some look great but not flowers and others have a slow death in their new container.  I have read books about caring for orchids, I have a good friend that is wizard caring for these plants and has giving me many tips, but nothing has helped.   After reading an article last year about the Million Orchid Project organized by Fairchild Tropical Garden, I decided to change direction.  Fairchild garden is growing over a million orchid plants in their nursery and attaching them to trees all over Miami.  One of my few successes with orchids is the picture below.  I have plenty of trees in my garden, so it makes sense to attach my surviving orchids to all my trees.   I know that some types of orchids do better in trees than others, so I need to do my research. 








This week at the DragonFly Garden
I have two bougainvillea plants blooming this week




I fished this succulent plant from a neighbor's garbage pile, after some TLC and a new container is quickly becoming one of my favorite in my collection

More pictures of the Painted Buntings family in my birdfeeder 

1 comment:

Misti said...

OH yeah, mounting the should help a lot! That's what we did quite often, pieces of driftwood (de-salted of course!), bamboo, other piece of wood. They would root fairly quickly after six months to a year.