Saturday, March 02, 2019

How do you tell Spring arrived at the tip of the Florida peninsula?

In a place where the weather does not change much year-around, sometimes is difficult noticing the changing of the seasons.   One way we can tell that Spring has arrived is when all the mango trees are full of flowers.  This year the trees flowered a little late, but they now full of blooms.  Mango trees are not the only trees flowering this time of the year, avocado trees are also in bloom and many other flowering trees like plumerias and the powderpuff.


This is my avocado tree, the one on death row.  It has many flowers, we will see if we get any fruits.

Powderpuff tree


Brasilian Red

The Plumeria tree is beginning to flower

This week at the DragonFly Garden

I did a hard cut back to the Brunfelsia bush. Last year I neglected to do the yearly cut back after the flowering season was over and I paid for it this year.

I found these bromeliads pop in my neighbor's trash and I had to save them. 

Soon this male Painted bunting and all his female harem will be heading north for the summer.



Mourning doves are a common year-round resident in my bird feeder.   They can be a little territorial by keeping other birds away from the feeder.   This particular one did not care how close I was standing.

Sometimes we are in the right place at the right time.

My Angel's Trumpet bloomed for the first time this year.  Some gardeners believe that when this plant flowers, rain is coming soon.


1 comment:

Misti said...

Aww, spring in Florida! Lovely blooms!