Thursday, December 06, 2007

Lantanas are perfect for the drought stricken south.


I am adding more Lantana’s in my garden, now that our region is going back to severe water restrictions. Lantanas are the perfect plants for the garden, they do great in full sun, dry conditions, required very little water, and bloom most of the year. They look great as ground cover, and are a favorite of bees and butterflies.

I find that the yellow Lantana do much better than all the other varieties. Currently I have the red kind planted around my black olive tree and a purple one that is not in bloom in the back yard.

These plants are tropical and do very well in zone 8 and up, any other zones I am sure they can be used a summer annuals.

I will be heading this weekend for mouse land in central Florida for some RR and a family event. I' ll take lots of pictures of the gardens in Rat World and blog about it next week.
Have a nice weekend

7 comments:

Carol Michel said...

I'm sorry to hear you are under water restrictions. The good thing about snow is it eventually melts and helps us get caught up from our lack of rain last summer.

I can only grow lantanas here in containers.

Brenda Maas said...

Have a fun weekend.

gintoino said...

Lantanas also do very well here in southern Portugal (they can even get invasive) I had a red one for severel years but didn't do as well as the yellow one I have now.

Jeanette said...

Hi Rusty, Might just be the plant im looking for as were on severe resrictions also. How do you think it will go in winter as we get heavy frosts,,,

Meems said...

rusty- i too have every color of lantana although i find they behave differently from each other and the yellow ones seem to require more water-- i think that might be a hybrid? i use them mostly for ground cover b/c they fill in the spaces so well but also like to see them trailing out of a mixed garden pot.

your yellow ones are blooming very nicely! have a great time up here in the north this weekend. :-)

Wicked Gardener said...

Moose land? Near me! I want to see a Moose! You got me all excited! Then I realized you probably meant Mouse land. Bummer. I wanted to go see a moose. The best part about theme parks is the landscaping. I routinely drive my family crazy by spending more time looking at the plants that the rides! Have fun!

Rusty in Miami said...

Mickey Moose, I like that :-)