Saturday, June 23, 2012

Rain Maker

No gardening this weekend, tropical storm Debby formed in the Gulf of Mexico and it has become a rain maker for South Florida.  It has been raining since Thursday night, this morning I was able to go out and take some pictures before the rain came back.
The butterflies were out in full force, I counted five Zebras, (they don’t mind having their picture taken) there were a couple of Julias and one Giant Swallowtail. (too fast for my camera)   Is satisfying to see that all the labor I put in making the garden butterfly friendly is paying off.






This cactus bloomed last night (Crest of Myrtillocactus) and I missed it, I will be on the lookout for the next flower.
All the rain is doing a number on the Plumeria tree; it has dropped most of the flowers. 


BLOG Recommendation
I am a regular reader of the Cold Antler Farm blog written by Jena Woginrich in upstate New York.  Jena is young writer/farmer writing books and a blog about her life in a small farm.  She raises sheep, chickens, tends to goats, bees, a couple of horses and grows her own vegetables.  Recently she quit her 9 to 5 job as web designer and is making a living off of her writing and the land. The ColdAntler Farm blog is a window into simpler times, the way life us to be, check it out you will be helping a young farmer entrepreneur.   

3 comments:

Floridagirl said...

Great butterfly photos! And captured during all this rain, too! Sad that your plumeria blooms have dropped. : ( But I know I am loving this rain. We needed it badly up here in the valley.

(@) said...

Your pictures always pull me in for a long visit. Whenever I visit your blog you feed my senses with beauty.

NanaK said...

We enjoyed getting all the rain from Debby too. Wonderful to see the butterflies enjoying the break in the weather right there in your garden. Julia b'flies don't make it up our way but the zebra longwings have been numerous.