Saturday, August 16, 2014

New this year a kitchen garden

This year I’m doing a winter kitchen garden instead of a vegetable garden.  Last year most of my vegetables did poorly while the salad greens and herbs did well.  I’m tired of growing tomatoes, peppers, eggplants and other vegies and end up getting little in return. 
I’m starting early this year, weeding and turning over the soil, later in September I’ll add more soil and some additives and will start planting in early October.  I need suggestions as to what will do well in the shade; this area of the garden only gets a couple of hours of sun in the winter.



Before

This week at the DragonFly garden.

Blooming this week
Dragonfruit




August is a good time for butterfly watching; here are a few I was able to photograph this week.




1 comment:

David The Good said...

Rusty - looks great!

For the shade, I'd grow ginger, mint, kale, mustard and lettuce.