Sunday, May 21, 2017

The DragonFly garden is at war against a nasty invader.

I am at war with this nasty climbing weed.  My neighbor on the right side of the house has let this weed go wild on his property and now it has jump to my side.  This nasty plant is impossible to stop.  Every week I pull branches jumping on to my garden.  Today I noticed that it was covering the top of my Firebush tree, it only took a few days and it already was covering the top of the tree and moving on to the mango tree.  I don’t know the name of this weed, but I am going to have a talk with my neighbor and see if he let me try to fight it from his side of the yard.




This week at the DragonFly Garden


The summer heat has arrived and is time to pull out all my winter flowers, and plant summer hardy plants like Moss Rose and Purslane.


Periwinkles are another strong summer flower for us; the good news is that they grow wild everywhere.  I let them grow to give color to the summer garden.


Mango season is in full swing; this is my neighbor’s tree.  I did not get a single mango this year from my two trees. I made the mistake last year of over pruning both trees after the last mango was picked.

This Cardinal couple has taken residence in my garden; they like to come to the feeder and the water fountain in the late afternoon after all the other birds are gone.  


3 comments:

FlowerLady Lorraine said...

That vine is a hard one to get rid of. It is Virginia Creeper, and creep it does. I've been dealing with it for years. Birds love the berries.

You've got some lovely flowers there. Happy Gardening ~ FlowerLady

Misti said...

FlowerLady is right on the Virginia creeper id. Frankly, I'm fond of it as it is a native, but I can see when you have a small space that you wouldn't want it. Hope your neighbor is willing to let you rip it out from the base!

Bummer about the mangoes!

marlo said...

Virginia Creeper is a native vine. It dies somewhat back in the winter months. I have been able to control it in South Florida by keeping an eye on it. It's the other exotic vines that you really should be worried about :)