Friday, September 15, 2017

IRMA the recovery

This is what it greeted me Monday morning after Irma left us, the garden was totally trashed.  It could have been worse and our friends in the Florida Keys and Florida's west coast were not so lucky.   
We were hit with a category 1 winds and possibly cat. 2 gusts, must of the houses and buildings in the area did well, not so much for the trees and people's fences.  I lost my favorite flower tree, the yellow Tap tree in front of the house and my date palm.  I have a couple of trees to straighten up and a lot of clean up.   The good news is that all my feces held and so did my tool shed.  
























Is going to take a long time to get the garden back to normal, this might be a good time to reevaluate the entire concept for the future.  My back yard went overnight from a shade garden to a sunny garden.  Thanks to my wife, daughters and son-in-law for starting the clean up while I had to go back to work.  


















 This is my orange Geiger tree, I want to save it but is not budging.
 The trunk of the date palm will need professional help to remove
 The debris in front of the house is all from the garden.  It will take a long time for the county to pick it up, there are so many piles like this all over Miami.
 Yesterday I had to put together the small patio off my dinning room, it gives me hope that soon the entire garden will look normal again.  The beauty of mother nature is that it always comes back

















Let's not forget the people of the lower keys, they are suffering so much. Is going to take a long time for their recovery and to bring life back normal again.

2 comments:

Misti said...

Wow, that debris pile! Sorry for all of that garden damage. It sucks everyone else had such a bad time but I'm glad it didn't hit Miami head on like they were predicting.

FlowerLady Lorraine said...

I'm glad to read that you survived Irma, for the most part. Our gardens do get trashed but will grow back, or we will add new plants to replace what was lost. It could have been so much worse for us. My heart and prayers go out to all who suffered so much from Irma and Harvey as well.

Enjoy your weekend ~ FlowerLady