Sunday, June 23, 2019

June, my least favorite month of the year.

I always dread the arrival of the month of June.  In South Florida, we live in a never-ending summer climate, but June brings out the worst of summer.  It is the official start of the summer season for everyone, including us.  It also means the start of the rainy season, the rain brings out the swarms of mosquitos, high humidity, and temperatures in the high nineties (as I write this post indoors, in the comfort of my AC, the temperature outside this afternoon is 101 degrees with a heat index of 115 degrees)  June also brings the worst allergies for me, I get a terrible itch around my eyes the minute I walk outside, especially in the early morning.  As I get older, this allergy has been getting worst.  I don’t know what causes it, but as soon as July comes around the allergies fade away and everything returns to normal.  The high allergy season for us is between February to April when the pollen count is the highest.  I must be allergic to a plant that becomes active during this month.   
In the month of June, the garden becomes very aggressive and it requires my attention more than any other time of the year.  Now that I am retired, I am trying to do a little bit of gardening every day in the early morning, weeding and trimming is the extent of my gardening duties.   


This week at the DragonFly Garden

Yellow spider orchids 

White and purple Ruelias (Mexican Bluebell)


The perfect mango

See what I mean about June, this Fire Dragon bush is out control in need of a haircut

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I just found your blog by searching for growing Zinnias in South Florida. It brought me to your article on the little highlighter yellow zinnia you started from seed in the small plastic pot. How did that ever turn out? Were you able to get it into the ground thriving? I'm planting today what I think are Zinnias I bought from Flamingo Nursery this weekend. They have been sitting in their pots in direct sun being watered twice a day and seem to like the spot. I will put them into the ground tonight.