Friday, June 14, 2019

Ferns, my new love affair

I must admit that in my early years of gardening, I was not a fan of these plants.  They were invasive in the garden and I was on a crusade to eradicate them.  Fast forward to the present and they won me over.  The fact that they are a great ground cover for shady areas had something to do with my conversion.    These days they are all over my garden, in the shade and wild areas as well as in pots.  Before my conversion, I had no idea how many types of ferns there are in this world, and how my home state of Florida seems to be a good home for many of them.   I am now officially a collector of ferns, whenever I see a new one at my local plant nursery, it comes home with me.  I like the idea that I have so many places to plant them, where they can thrive.  All the trees in my garden have restricted my gardening experience, so now I have something new to look forward to.  





Foxtail and Birdsnest 

I didn't know that Staghorns are part of the fern family

This Japanese Holly fern did not do well in the shade, will see how it react to more sun.

I found this beauty in the back of my Dad's old garden, so far is one of my favorite.

This week at the DragonFly Garden

It is mango harvest season at the DragonFly.  Mangos become an integral part of our diet during this time of the year (Today's lunch Mango smoothies)

June is the start of the rainy season in South Florida and is also time for the rain lilies to bloom.

HAPPY FATHER'S DAY

No comments: