Sunday, June 10, 2007

Rain Lilies are popping up all over the yard



You know we are in the middle of the summer rain season when you get Rain Lilies popping up all over the garden.

A week ago I asked where are the mosquitoes. Well they have arrived and they are hungry. Today I was out around 7pm with my dog Rosie and they attacked, oh well that is gardening in Florida during the summer season. You can’t go out it in the afternoon because the sun will toast you and if you go out at sunset the mosquitoes will eat you alive.

I have this wonderful plant that I don’t know the name; I got it from a neighbor who did not know the name either. Is one my favorite plants in my garden, is great ground cover for shade areas the color of leaves is beautiful and the small lilac color flowers are great contrast against the leaves. This plant grows from April to November then it goes dormant until the following year (this is a rarity in Florida where everything grows year around) The only problem with this plant is that snails love it too, as you can see by my picture and they love to hide under the leaves.
If any one knows the name let me know.


9 comments:

Jeanette said...

Your Rain lilies are lovely a make nice show, Sorry cant help you with the pretty ground cover but will keep an eye open for it over here .

Yolanda Elizabet Heuzen said...

Uh oh, mosquito's!!!

Love those Rain Lilies, very pretty.

LostRoses said...

Rain lilies! Another plant I've never heard of but they sound delightful. I don't know the name of your other plant but I think I've seen it in the houseplant section of the nursery. Pretty variegated leaves!

Jeanette said...

Hi again Rusty could that be a Prayer plant some pecies have a small flower. I was at a nursery today they showed me one very simlar to your one

Unknown said...

Hi Rusty, I'm from Georgia and moved to Ft. Lauderdale last year. I tried to grow tomatoes this year, but realized after I saw your March blog that I started in the wrong season (April). I was wondering why they don't do well in the spring/summer...it gets hot in GA too. Do you know? So when is the best time to plant them? And does this also apply to peppers, cucumbers and squash? Any help is most appreciated! Katherine

Iowa Gardening Woman said...

Looks like some type of prayer plant to me also, do the leaves fold up at night? I have grown it as a houseplant, yours looks MUCH better than mine ever did :).

Meems said...

i know this is an old post but i just discovered your blog. i have been looking for the name of these lilies. thank you... i have several and never can remember the name. my neighbor moved here from coral gables and brought some of the other plant you are asking the name of ... she gave me some and i love them. did you find out the name of them yet?

Wicked Gardener said...

I think your plant is a Peakcock Ginger - Kaempheria pulchra massonii. They are reffered to as the Southern Hosta.

Wicked Gardener said...

Make that Peacock Ginger