Tuesday, November 11, 2008

The Cannonball tree


Every time I visit Fairchild Tropical Gardens, there is always a plant or tree that wows me. Saturday, I discovered for the first time the cannonball tree from the rainforests of South America. The reason it's called a cannonball is because the fruits sway and clash in the wind, creating a loud noise like artillery fire. The fruit resemble rusty old cannonballs as they hang in clusters on the side of the tree, attached on rope tangles that emerge directly from the trunk of the tree.

The cannonball flowers are fragrant and resemble a beautiful large orchid. At night, the flowers become particularly pungent in order to attract pollinators.
This tree has been at Fairchild since 1932, making it one of the most senior members of the Gardens!

7 comments:

Cheryl said...

Gosh the flowers are stunning.....so exquisite.......
I have never heard of this tree....I learn something everyday......

My Little Family: said...

very cool tree - i am going to have to find one somewhere so I can see it up close

Brenda Maas said...

Very beautiful flowers, strange looking tree. Interesting, I have never seen one of those. Thanks for posting the photo.

Yolanda Elizabet Heuzen said...

I can see why this tree is wowing you, it's wowing me too. Wow!!!! ;-) Just look at those flowers, they are gorgeous. Thanks for showing this cool tree, Rusty.

Unknown said...

Now that is an amazing looking tree! I have never heard of it before, thanks for sharing.

Green thumb said...

oooh! That Tree just stole my heart. I have neither seen nor heard of it before, and now i wonder how the sound of artillery would feel on a haunting queer stormy night!

trần minh an said...

wao !!! beautifull flowers...