Saturday, October 24, 2009

The Fall Edible Garden Festival at Fairchild Garden


Today my family I attended the first annual Fall Edible Garden festival at Fairchild Tropical Garden. The festival is a celebration of the fruits, vegetables and the herbs we grow in South Florida, plus Scarecrows Contest and wonderful Halloween decorations through out the garden.


The weather did not cooperate with the festival, it rained most of the day but that didn’t dampen our spirits, we all had a lot of fun.

There were gardening lectures, cooking demonstrations, gardening demonstrations, vegetable vendors and plenty of food; and all among the beauty of Fairchild garden.

The Scarecrow contest was hit with the kids, all scarecrows were ecologically friendly and created by members of the community. Proceeds from the contest entry fees will support the conservation of native fish in our local lakes.


Halloween decorations through out the garden all made from garden materials.

The ghosts were made from palm fronds.



I also attended a photography class early in the morning, taught by a world famous nature photographer from Fairchild. See some of the photos I took on my other blog My Viewfinder.

8 comments:

Tira said...

Looks like a fun event and a fun day for all.

Unknown said...

Sounds like a fun filled day, even though it rained.

Darla said...

How much fun! Never heard of a scarecrow contest before!

Chloe m said...

Smashing! Love all the spooks. I was a bit scared by that red thing in the tree. I would not want to see that at night!
I am enjoying reading through your blog. Great read!
Rosey

Randy Emmitt said...

Fun posting loved ALL the scarecrows. Glad you have fun in spite of the rain. We went to a halloween party last night, we made fresh cider from the orchard, had persimmon pudding and took a hay ride into the woods under the moon.

Scott & Liz said...

Rusty, thanks for the report from Fairchild. I had hoped to make it up there but will have to wait for the Ramble. Such a great place!
Scott

Cheryl said...

What a fun day.....I love the scarecrows and ghosts......

Conservation of native fish in local lakes.....now that I like........

Dirt Princess said...

How neat are those scarecrows, and the ghosts!!! Very inventive!