Saturday, October 10, 2009

Looking for fall weather

Halloween is almost here and the temperature outside is in the mid nineties, this is the longest summer I can remember in recent history. By mid October the weather in South Florida should be cooler and is time to plant our winter vegetable gardens, not this year.

Today I did some work in the front garden and decorated our house for Halloween. In the old days when my girls were little, the Halloween decorations were a big deal around my house, now I mostly do it for the other kids in the neighborhood. It doesn’t seem to be much enthusiasm for this holiday any more, and that’s a shame for the kids today. Trick-o-treat in a shopping mall is not the same.

I did some weeding and trimmed back my Starburst Pentas, I’m hopping for another blooming season this winter.

The Red Crown of Thorns mixes well with this Neoregelia bromeliad.

I found this palm growing in the front garden, I am not sure if it is a Sabal Palm or a Chinese Fan palm, whatever it is, I am going to try growing it in a container.

12 comments:

Noelle Johnson said...

I love your Halloween decorations. Unusual for us, we have had rather cool weather lately. I'm not questioning it, just enjoying it.

Jake said...

The weather has been plain dreadful. I think it depends on where you live if Halloween is a big holiday or not. I believe your palm is a Washingtonia robusta. It is a fast grower and will grow tall, very nice Palm.

Jake

Urban Green said...

Hi! Liked your decorations. The plant combo looks great...!

Darla said...

It's soooooooo hot still...not ready for frost though....your gardens and decorations look nice...nothing seems the same on any holiday anymore..

Cheryl said...

We were in Florida on vacation three weeks ago and it was really hot. I must confess, a little too hot from me. I am now back to UK and enjoying the lower temperatures. I shall probably be complaining in the depths of winter.....

CanadianGardenJoy said...

Rusty .. i feel for you with the lack of Halloween MOOD and decorations .. kids grow up way too fast now .. they don't have a childhood any more .. I was buying more decorations today .. hopefully next week with some good weather I will get to work decorationg : )
Love your plants and that new header picture !
Joy

Unknown said...

Looks like a nice palm that you have found!

Jan said...

Isn't the weather just plain weird? Snow in the midwest, extreme heat in the south? I hope you get a bit of a reprieve soon! It's no fun with 90+ degree weather all the time...70's or 80's sounds much better. In fact, I've even enjoyed the weather we've been having in the 60's lately. But I still am not thrilled that cold weather is on its way:-( I still have some plants in pots that I bought this summer and haven't yet put into the garden! We won't have frost just yet, but I know I've got to get my act together!!

Susan said...

I know what you mean about the weather. It is hot and sticky up here in the center part of the state, too. A BIG woo hoo to the dolphins for their great game last night. I'm sooooo glad to see they are back! It may be a good season after all.

Beth Niquette said...

It is hard to imagine (living here in the Pacific Northwest) planting a winter veggie garden!

I'm green with envy! Wonderful pictuers!

Nell Jean said...

Everything looks good.

I cut back pentas this week, not for rebloom but for cuttings to root to hold over the winter. They will sometimes keep blooming until near Christmas, but eventually a freeze takes them out. Whether they return from the roots depends on conditions not known to me. I take cuttings just in case.

Anonymous said...

I believe the bromeliad should be Aechmea blanchetiana.