Saturday, August 13, 2016

Zika - Miami’s new normal

Zika has been knocking at our front doors for several weeks and last week it walked in through an open door.  We knew it was going to be a matter of time before local infested cases were going to be reported.  So far all cases are concentrated in the small neighborhood of Windward in Miami, our local authorities are doing all they can to keep it contain to that area, but this is summer in Florida and mosquitoes are not going anywhere no matter what you do.  The only solution to the Zika virus is a vaccine, but funding for research and development for such vaccine is not coming anytime soon from our federal government.  Our representatives in Washington decided to make this a political issue and left town for their summer vacation.

Zika is making me change the way I garden.  These days I cover myself with mosquito repellent when I am outside, I change the water in the birdbaths daily, I am more conscious of standing water and I put mosquito bits in all my bromeliads water cups.  Mosquito bits kills the larvae and are fish and bird friendly.          


2 comments:

Susan said...

Hi Rusty, My mom and I were just talking about Zika and bromeliads. Thanks for the info on the mosquito bits. I'm going to buy that product. How often do you have to put it in the bromeliad cups? Good luck.

Rusty in Miami said...

Hi Susan, I usually put the mosquito bits once a week.