Saturday, May 18, 2019

The urban tree canopy

Between my neighbor’s backyard and my garden, we have the thickest tree canopy in our neighborhood.  We both love tropical fruit trees and our two small gardens can count on over twenty trees.  It is sad to see that our city landscape is losing its tree cover, most homeowners see trees as a nuisance.  My next-door neighbor already complained to me that my Plumeria tree is too messy, especially in the fall and I should think about cutting it back,  I explained to him, that Plumeria tree is keeping his house cooler in the hot summer months and helping him with his air conditioning expenses (I don’t think he believed me)
We have lost so many trees due to hurricane strikes and out of control development that our situation is critical.  The local government is trying to replace those trees that were lost, by planting hundreds of trees on the street right of way and by giving trees to anyone who wants to adopt a tree free of charge.  More needs to be done, we need to educate our neighbors of the importance of our trees, how they clean the air around us, cool our homes and neighborhood, attract wildlife, increase the value of our properties and help our planet against global warming.




The saga of my Avocado tree.  A few months ago, I wrote on this blog that I was ready to cut down my avocado tree if it didn’t produce any fruits this year.  Well, it got the message and so far, I am counting around 10 avocados.  This week I had to stake the tree, a storm with heavy winds almost knock down the tree to the ground.    


Mangos are on the way.

Summertime is here and so are the zebra butterflies



1 comment:

Misti said...

Unfortunately it is so hard to change minds these days. You would think with all of the news about the impending global warming issues that more people would be open to adapting, but not the case.

And I'm glad the avocado got the notice to produce fruit!