Sunday, October 12, 2008

Herbs for cooking and the butterflies


Yesterday, I worked on my herb garden. This year, I added more butterfly-friendly herbs, like parsley and dill.

I planted three types of basil--sweet, purple, and spicy basil. Every year my basil gets leaf miners and the plants don’t last long; I hope this year will be different since I am using containers.

Other herbs in my garden are oregano, chives, thyme, and rosemary. The chives, oregano, and rosemary survived the heat of last-year's summer.

For the next month, while the plants are small, I’ll keep them covered. The September afternoon sun in Miami is a plant killer!

5 comments:

Meems said...

Good to keep them covered for a while. I keep most of my herbs under the screened lanai. For some reason it helps keep the leaf miners and the bugs away too. I planted veggies for the fall this year. They are doing well with all this heat.
meems

Cheryl said...

I love to have herbs in the garden...not only are they wonderful to cook with....plus their beautiful fragrance....they are also medicinal....can we ask more?????

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Danielles Garden said...

I admit I haven't visited in a while...been busy with school. I poked around today to try to fiigure out whay type of air plant or bromiliad you have in your main photo. Is there a post about it that I could read? It's absolutely gorgeous and I have to know what it is. Please don't tell me it;s one of those that's spread by the wind and can be found all over town.