This afternoon I took advantage of the clear weather and worked on the vegetable bed. First, I turned the soil over and added a couple of sacks of compost-enriched dirt from the store. I was careful not to remove a couple of hollyhock volunteers. Although they were growing in the wrong place, I didn’t have the heart to pull them out.
This year, for the first time, I also made my own compost. I did it in this homemade garbage pail which I fixed with small holes in the bottom and lid for air circulation. I made sure that the pail was turned every month for the last six months. If it works, I will invest in a compost tumbler for next season.
The soil is mixed and the bed is ready to go so now I need to decide what to plant. Definitely tomatoes and the rest, I will see.