Thursday, March 15, 2012

Visit to Everglades National Park

Every year, I take my camera and go visit the Everglades National Park. Yesterday my wife and I packed our cooler for a picnic, put our walking shoes on and went exploring. No matter how many times I visited, there is always something new to see. This national park is such a treasure, and we are so lucky to have it in our backyard.
Did you know that the Everglades is the only place in the world where you can find fresh water alligators coexisting with salt water crocodiles. It is the only U.S national park that holds three world designations: International Biosphere Reserve, World Heritage Site and Wetlands of International Importance.
There is no secret that this national park is in trouble and so are all the creatures living in it. If you have visited the park, like I have for the past ten years is plain to see that the bird population has been decreasing at a rapid rate. One of the main culprit is the free flow of water (or lack of it) from the north. There are solutions to this problem, but like every worthwhile project it takes money lots of it, and I'm not sure our federal and state governments are up to the task.

See more pictures in my Flickr account.

No comments: