Sunday, January 13, 2019

All gardens need a small kitchen garden

Last year I made the decision not to do another winter vegetable garden.  My garden has become a shade garden over the years and my vegetable beds suffered for lack of sun.  This week while I was working on my side garden, I noticed a small spot of the garden getting about three hours of sun at midday.  A perfect place for a small kitchen, herb garden.  My nursery did not have many choices, but I was able to purchased parsley, basil, oregano, dill, swiss chard, spinach and couple of cherry tomatoes plants.  I don’t want to give up on the idea of growing food in my garden, but the only year around sunny area is the west-facing front of the house.  I need to convince my wife and some neighbors that green grass is a thing of the past.


This week at the DragonFly Garden

I took on a project to redo the long strip of garden in between my house and my neighbor.  This area has never gotten much sun all year round, the grass died a long time ago and it has gotten muddy during the rainy season.  It took 20 bags of river pebbles to have it looking like this.  I am using shade loving plants on one side, plants like ferns (more about ferns in future postings) elephant ears, coleuses, banana trees, and others.  The other side is a mix of different plants from all over the garden. 



Before

Begonias are doing well in the containers
 White hibiscus


No comments: