Wednesday, October 25, 2006

Is it Orchid Cactus or Cactus Orchid??


I must admit I am not a big fan of Cacti but a few years back while walking in my neighborhood I found a small cutting of this Epiphyllum (the fancy name) so I decided to give a home in the trunk of my coconut tree.
The coconut tree was blown away by a hurricane but the cactus hanged on to what was left of the trunk. Then one night WALA the must beautiful flower I have ever seen. By the time I brought my family to see it in the morning it had wilted.

The flowers open around 10 to 11 pm at night and by the time sun comes up in morning they have wilted. Yesterday I counted 26 flowers the most that had ever bloomed at the same time. This is it for the year, this cactus doesn’t like to bloom in cooler weather.It might also be the last year for these beautiful flowers the Coconut trunk is rotting and might topple over at any time, so I will need to find a new host tree and start all over again, this is one cacti I am keeping

3 comments:

Al said...

What great things you have in your garden! amazing!

Silvia Hoefnagels . Salix Tree said...

Wow, those flowers are amazing!
So is your white wild orchid, and the cat's whiskers. All these plants look so exotic, me being in Ireland, we don't see things like this.

Bobbie Jo Jones said...

How did you attach it to the tree? I am interested in doing the same thing.