Saturday, April 26, 2008

Gardening This and That


Today I finished putting the new border stones around the front garden and now it looks more balanced. I am saving the old stones for my winter vegetable garden since I plan to double it up so I can add better soil.

Old border

Once again I began a compost pile. I did it last year also but after a while I forgot to turn it over and the results were less than stellar! This year I am totally committed to composting success. This morning I took my garden cart and walked around my neighborhood looking for dry leaves. Needless to say, I got some strange looks from my neighbors.
Food for my compost pile

In the afternoon I took my Bonsai back to the bonsai nursery because it was dying, apparently from excessive watering. The nice folks at the nursery immediately put the tree in bonsai ICU and told me to come back for it in two weeks. Of course, while I was there I couldn’t help myself and bought another of these beautiful trees, this one a Chinese Elm. This one is for my office.

5 comments:

Priscilla George said...

Good luck with your compost pile. I don't have the room for one even though I could do an indoor one. I'm just not sure I would even have enough to put in it to make much of anything at all.
The new borders look great.
Hope your bonsai comes back feeling better. Over watering is a common problem with bonsai's and many other plants. I have killed one of mine but the other I think is coming back to life finally after I thought I had killed it. The one coming back to life is a Jacqueline Hillier Elm.

Cheryl said...

Thats what a like to see a man that composts. I have six on the go here and they have been very successful.

I am not to good with bonsai. I have one little tree, not sure what it is, but it is still alive at the moment. Yours is very pretty.

Your garden looks really nice, you obviously enjoy it.

Good post.

Danielles Garden said...

love to see the hardscape photos. keep up the good work!

Wicked Gardener said...

Wow, a nursery that has an ICU! I need to find one of those.

Anonymous said...

LOL! If you lived closer I could have filled your lil wagon with leaves a few hundred times.

Papaya...yum! Dulce de papaya. Sweet childhood memories. U have a beautiful garden. Truly enjoy looking at all the pics.