Saturday, April 19, 2008

Off to see the Hot Air Balloon Race


Today I took the day off from gardening and went to see a hot air balloon race. The Sunrise Balloon Race is an event that comes to my neighborhood every year. The race is launched from the Tamiami Airport, a regional private aviation airport near my home in the southern part of Miami. It begins on Saturday and ends on Sunday and hundreds of people attend every year.
The race benefits the Sunrise Community, a not-for-profit organization providing services and support for people living with mental and physical challenges in locations throughout Florida. This year, 34 hot air balloons participated and what a sight it was to see all the balloons taking off at sunrise in perfect climate condition for balloon racing. And for the first time since I've been attending the lift-off, we were treated to a dog balloon and the Energizer Bunny!




7 comments:

david santos said...

Excellent!
Thank you.

Jane O' said...

This looks like a fun. And a nice weather day too for the event.

gintoino said...

Love the beagle ballon! :-)

Cheryl said...

A fun day for everybody. I went up in a hot air baloon once. Glad I did it but once was enough for me. Fabulour views though.

Brenda Maas said...

Great photos. We were in Albuquerque, New Mexico one year for their hot air balloon fiesta. It was fantastic.

Chef TinaMarie said...

That was beautiful...Thanks!

One time when I was camping I had woken up around sunrise and took a walk by myself. To my surprise I found field filled with hot air balloons just getting ready to launch.

Of course I didn't bring my camera with, so I sat back and enjoyed the scentery, and took pictures in my head..LOL..

Anonymous said...

I just got back from a bike & barge cruise through Holland and Belgium and met a couple on the cruise that own two balloons and attend balloon events around the country. It's quite the involved hobby. At least gardening as a hobby doesn't require an FAA license!