Saturday, April 05, 2008

Where do air plants come from?


This morning while working in the garden I noticed for the first time this beautiful air plant that had attached it self to one of my palm trees.

I have seen these plants before in many trees around my neighborhood, but never one with this red color and purple and yellow flowers.
I wonder how it got here; maybe the wind or the birds brought it. However it arrived, I am glad it found a home in my garden, adding to the beauty and color. Ahhh, the wonders of nature!

11 comments:

Priscilla George said...

Wow that is a beautiful plant. I have wondered the same thing about air plants and how they get to where they are.

verobirdie said...

This is a beautiful surprise with amazing colors! Lucky you.

Danielles Garden said...

I've never seen one with those colors. It's beautiful.

Wicked Gardener said...

How lucky to you are to find such freebee surprises! Very cool plant - people would probably spend big money on something like that.

Unknown said...

What a beautiful plant. Almost like something from another world. Yet another advantage you have over us northerners...I'm not likely to find anything growing on my trees except lichens and fungi.

gintoino said...

WOW, that's beautiful. I've never seen an air plant as colorfull as that. How lucky are you to have one volunteer into your garden?

Cheryl said...

Doesn't every gardener love that, a gift from our of nowhere.

Tira said...

That is sure one lovely garden surprise!

Jeanette said...

HI RUSTY,Thats a lovely air plant. and ever nicer knowing its a freebee..(Tallandsia) they belong to the Bromeliad family.

Jane O' said...

Air plants must be one of God's little nods, saying: Yes, I know you're there. Good job. Here's a gift for you.

BLP said...

Looks like Tillandsia Var. Ionatha Mexican. They only turn red right before they bud. After it flowers it should produce a few pups for you.