Thursday, March 01, 2007

Why buy seeds, when they are free for the picking


Pleasant surprise

On my last trip to Vermont this past fall my wife commented to me “You know Rusty you have become your father everywhere you go you pick the seeds from other people’s gardens and put them in your pocket”.
When I get home I empty my pockets and sometimes have no idea what flower they are for. Last year I dedicated a small section of my garden for this project. I put all the seeds there and wait and see what happens. Most of the times all that grows are weeds but some times I get a pleasant surprises.
My father is an old timer (more about his garden in future posting) who believes that it is crime to buy a plant. He believes that seeds and cutting should be free for the taking and that it is every gardener duty to pass it on to others free and without the need to ask. This is the way it should be, but our world today is not that generous, at least not in my part of the country.

Flowers from free seeds

5 comments:

Brenda Maas said...

I used to share/trade seeds and slips all the time in Canada. Here, also I find people are happy to give you a slip if you admire the plant. I got 2 huge "slips",(more the size of plants)of plumeria from people here like that. One of the slips is now growing leaves. The plumerias here loose all their leaves in the winter and look kind of strange/homely; but the blooms in the summer make up for their winter looks.
I have found that gardeners love to talk to other gardeners, even strangers. I have stopped at total strangers yards, admired their gardens and have been given seeds/slips for things. I was from a more rural area though and people weren't so suspicious of strangers as they are in a larger, urban center. Gardeners are usually great people.

La Gringa said...

I agree with your dad. There's nothing I like better than to share a plant with another gardener. I wish I were your neighbor, 'cuz I'd love to share that beautiful rose in your last post. ;-)

Jeanette said...

Hi Rusty, I cant see anything wrong with sharing a few free seeds. I especially like the hollyhock.

D J E and M Huber said...

I like your idea of a part of your garden that you use to see what comes out of the soil. I am starting my own "test plot" this year. It's 10' x 10'and I'm planning on scattering a bunch of seeds (some taken from plant that I like from others' gardens, my garden, or the side of the road) and some in so-called "wildflower" mixes. My plan is to let them all get a chance to grow. The ones that make it in this climate and soil will help me to know what to focus on in my garden in coming years. If they turn out to be perennials, they will also be great for transplanting.

Anonymous said...

BEAUTIfUL! garden- and i like the square tiles with indentations-where did you find them? What great placement and colors...
typeandfile@aol.com