Friday, August 15, 2008

August GBBD

August 15 GBBD is here and the summer weather doesn’t let up. Every day it's hot and humid and most days it rains as well (so, what else is new in Florida during August?). The garden is looking a little tired from the summer heat and both the plants and the gardener can’t wait for the cooler autumn months.

My purple allamanda bloomed for the first time this month and I am expecting many more flowers in the next couple of weeks.


The rain lilies burst forth with blooms this week, as well they should since it has been raining every day for the last two weeks.


The buttercup bush greets me every morning full of flowers as I do my morning walk around the garden before going to work.


The white wild orchids are putting on a show this month.


The red canna lilies are doing well this year. This plant has grown over seven feet tall!


The moss rose is my favorite summer annual.


Purslane, like the moss rose, is a great summer annual and perfect for hanging baskets.

9 comments:

Brenda Maas said...

Looking good.
Things are looking hot and tired here also.
The hibiscus is struggling to bloom. The only thing blooming nicely right now is the Desert Rose, it is lovely.

Yolanda Elizabet Heuzen said...

Really lovely blooms, Rusty and so very different from mine. That beautiful Allemande they sell here now too but only for growing in pots as our winters are still too cold.

Happy GBBD!

Cheryl said...

Hi Rusty....you have some beautiful blooms in your garden, so colourful. I cannot believe the size of the Canna, incredible......

gintoino said...

Some beautiful and exotic blooms as usual rusty. I love the yellow flowers of the buttercup bush, I think they are my favorite.

Carol Michel said...

Even in the heat, your garden looks great, vibrant blooms!

Thanks for joining in for bloom day.
Carol, May Dreams Gardens

Jeanette said...

Your garden looks good to me Rusty with all the colourful blooms. I love this plant "purple allamanda" another new one on me....
I cant wait for summer...were having a very dry cold winter ive just had the sprinklers on...

Meems said...

Rusty,
Hope you are doing okay tonight with the tropical storm dumping rain and winds on you. Came here hoping for an up close and personal review of Fay...

Your blooms are looking good. Love those wild orchids. I think next year I will break down and try some dwarf canna... the striped foliage has me mesmerized.
Meems

Green thumb said...

Hi Rusty,your Alamanda looks lovely and I love your wild orchid too! we have Moss rose common in our bloom list.
Best Wishes

sanddollar said...

Love the Rain Lilies. Any idea where I can obtain bulbs? I live in Palm Beach County.