Wednesday, May 27, 2009

EPCOT flower and garden festival


I returned yesterday from my visit to the Flower and Garden Festival held every year at Epcot Center in Disney World. This year's event was by far the best ever.
There were amazing topiaries everywhere in the park, all of them made exclusively from plants and flowers.
The butterfly pavillion was out of this world. In the butterfly house were cocoons, many of them opening up and releasing their precious contents and hundreds of mature butterflies flying around.
The floating gardens
The Pixie Hollow Garden where Tinkerbell and her fairie friends live was a favorite of my family.

Displays on green gardening with great ideas for conservationists.

At World Showcase, the displays featured each country's native gardens.

Japan was all about bonsais with some incredible examples of this ancient Japanese art, some many decades old!

Italy featured container gardens--aren't they lovely?

In Germany, the main attraction was the miniature garden and railroad.

China had this magnificent dragon created from all types of bromeliads.

My family and I had a great time and we are already planning next year's visit for the 2010 festival, to be held March 3 – May 16. If you have never been, I strongly recommended this delightful and beautiful exhibit.

7 comments:

Dirt Princess said...

THanks for that....that will be a good time to go to Disney. I didn't realize they did that. Very neat! I will keep that in mind when I plan a trip to Disney....go during the flower festival. THanks for sharing

Anonymous said...

Now I want to go there. I love all the whimsy.
I never have been satisfied with my own topiary attempts so I really admire others' topiaries.
Donna

Prospero said...

Is that Pongo and Perdita, the green dalmatians, in the Italy display? (What the heck do I know about Disney!)

Unknown said...

thanks for sharing this!! Gorgeous everywhere you look.

Susan said...

By the looks of your photos I would have to agree that the show looks better than past years. I especially loved that bromeliad dragon! Thanks for sharing your visit with us.

Dirt Princess said...

Hey there,
I upload my photos into Flickr, then uge Big Huge Labs to create the collage. It links to Flickr photos. Very quick and easy. It is an easy way to display mulitple photos. I had to upgrade my Flickr account to a pro account. THat way you can upload as monay photos as you want. The free flickr account will only let you upload a few before it maxes out.

http://bighugelabs.com/flickr/mosaic.php

Let me know if you need help with it

Wicked Gardener said...

What a bummer it was raining. I love that show.