Saturday, June 25, 2011

Maintenance and the banana trees

This morning I decided to do a little maintenance on my banana trees. I have three baby banana trees all with fruits. My father taught me a trick on how to get bigger bananas, he told me that by cutting the flower off at the end of the stem when the bananas are small, the trees will channel all their energy on growing healthier and bigger fruits. (The bees will not be happy; they love the nectar from these flowers)







The banana flower looks like a heart and I am told they are edible and a delicacy in Southeast Asia.


New flowers this week
Spider Lily




This orchid--attached to a palm tree--is a reliable producer of yearly flowers.






Aechmea fasciata bromeliad (fancy name). I have several of these flowers popping up in the garden



I counted 43 key limes today in my potted key lime tree. My wife is thrilled!

8 comments:

Tira said...

very pretty flowers and glad your bananas and limes are producing

Darla said...

Cool info on the banana. Lovely flowers and whooo hooo on the limes.

FlowerLady Lorraine said...

Enjoy your bananas and all those wonderful key limes.

FlowerLady

Unknown said...

Didn't know that about bananas.I'm gonna give a try.Love your Key Lime!

sherryocala said...

Your banana trees are very cool, your flowers are beautiful and your limes look great. Thanks for sharing.

Susan said...

Looks like you're going to be eating key lime pie...yum! I didn't know that about banana trees. I'll have to give it a try. Thanks.

The Sage Butterfly said...

I love the limes! And your blooms are beautiful!

NanaK said...

Orchids growing in trees is so Florida. Thanks for the banana tree info. I have my first bananas so I'll give your advice a try.