Sunday, February 19, 2012

Where have all the bees gone?

This morning I noticed that there were very few bees around the garden. This is the time of the year when the garden should be buzzing with bees. You can see that we are in trouble, when the Queen Palm blooms and there are no bees around it. Queen Palm flowers are magnets for bees. This was the lone bee flying around my Angels Trumpets this morning.
I read the other days that a group of gardeners in the Bay Area of California started keeping beehives as a mater of survival for their gardens. I blogged about it the other days about keeping bees in my garden, I'm currently looking into it. My wife is completely against it, because of a bad experience we had with a hive that settled in our roof. I believe that we all must do our part keeping the garden ecosystem healthy, and bees are a major contributors to that ecosystem. Waiting for somebody else to do it may never get done.


This weekend I worked on this corner of my garden pulling weeds, next week on to another area. I used to think that pulling weeds was therapeutic, now a days I find it boring work.

4 comments:

karen mulhern said...

the angel trumpets are beautiful!

Ellen said...

Rusty, I normally have lots of bees in my butterfly - hummingbird garden. With the cold air, many of them disappeared. However, there are still several around my milkweed, giant milkweed, mango tree, lignum vitae, and other flowers. Hope this helps.

beds said...

We all must do our part keeping the garden ecosystem healthy, and bees are a major contributors to that ecosystem. Waiting for somebody else to do it may never get done.

Rohrerbot said...

I think they all came over to Arizona. We have a healthy population here. Disturbing what you write. Maybe they have been slow to start....hopefully they'll start visiting again.