Sunday, July 22, 2012

Garden designer, a new career!!!!

Last week while my daughter was on her honeymoon, I surprised her by transforming  the patio at her new townhouse into a new outdoor living room.
Before

The small patio has very little space for plants and is surrounded by tall trees.  My challenge was finding plants that do well in the shade.
After

My daughter is an excellent gourmet cook so a small cooking garden was a must.

Must of the plants came from my garden

These bromeliads were all from my garden
My daughter Elizabeth is my only hope that my grandmother's gardening gene will go on in the family.  Her gardening space is small but with my help I hope she'll become a gardener, I can wait to spend time sharing my knowledge with her

10 comments:

Roslyn said...

What a lucky daughter. It looks wonderful.

FlowerLady Lorraine said...

What a wonderful job you did and I'm sure your daughter and her husband will enjoy this area.

FlowerLady

Antique ART Garden said...

WOW, what a great transformation, tons of work and love made it special. Great dad!

Unknown said...

How special!! I hope you have many years sharing your gardening knowledge with her..

Mrs. M and Dr. V ;) said...

Wonderful!! It looks very cheerful and inviting, a nice little (shady) place to relax. I like the idea with hanging pots on the fence too.
Great blog, makes me come back for more :)

Greetings from Texas!

africanaussie said...

that reminds me of one of the TV shows where someone goes away and comes back to find their garden transformed! I am sure she will be thrilled - you did a great job. I have just being wondering what to do with my bromeliads - I love the way you have them grouped in the corner like that. They will probably climb up the fence eventually - great idea.

Sheri - Creative Spaces Landscaping said...

My Mom would have done a wonderful job like you did but my Dad on the other hand would have bought all the plants at a mega-home store and left the tags on them, lol. I guess the gardening gene must be female, lol. What a kind & thoughtful present for your daughter & son-in-law! :)

Happy Gardening & best wishes,

Sheri
www.pompanobeachgardening.blogspot.com

Susan said...

There's always grandchildren, too Rusty :-)

What a sweet father you are. Wish you good post a photo of her face when she sees it.

David said...

Great job!
That lawn furniture is fantastic and the garden spot looks so inviting. I bet she was surprised beyond words. What a generous and thoughtful gift...one that can be enjoyed all year long.
David/:0)

Cocoplum said...

Happened upon your blog when searching for driftwood in gardens. Glad I did ... you have some great ideas here. I'm sure your daughter will be thrilled -- you did a great job with her garden redo. Thanks for sharing!