Saturday, May 09, 2015

The Zebras are back.

The Firebush has become the hub or Grand Central station of my garden.  This morning I counted five Longwind Zebras and three Julia butterflies, plus hundreds of bees, all flying around the tree (what a site).  You can hear the buzzing from far away.  

I love all butterflies, but Zebras are my favorite and they love the firebush tree. I recommend this plant to anyone that wants to create a butterfly garden in south Florida.




This week at the DragonFly Garden.

Today on the agenda, I was planning to trim back my powderpuff tree in the front garden and give it a more round shape.  This morning while I was having my coffee and before starting my gardening work, I was reading my twitter account, and a tweet from a birder in England caught my eye.  He was asking gardener not trim their trees during nesting season.  Good advice, so I decided to check my powderpuff tree and what do you know, up high and out of sight I found a nest from a Mockingbird.  For now this job is on hold until the family moves out.



This planter box is in a sunny area.  Nothing I plant there survives and the planter is too heavy to move.   Today I collected all the snake plants (Sansevieria cylindrical) from the garden and relocated them there. Snake plants are succulents from Africa; they thrive in sunny and dry areas of the garden.


The garden is not only about plants.  I could not resist buying this wind spinner at Costco.

Is he saying hi or challenging me to duel???

The blooms of the week. 














HAPPY MOTHERS DAY 

2 comments:

Susan said...

Your firebush is so large. Mine is just s baby and I'm hoping it will grow fast. Glad you checked the powderpuff for nests. It's always neat to find a bird's nest. Your snake plant should do well there. Have a nice weekend.

Tira said...

A post full of charming pics: trees, blooms, lizard, wind spinner,