Tuesday, August 07, 2018

Adjusting to a life of leisure

It has been over a month since I put in my last 9-5 day at work.  I did not expect that there would be an adjustment period, it takes a lot of will power to plan and execute a full day of activities.  Don’t get me wrong I love my new life and the freedom that I have, but after 23 years with the same routine, it will take time, adjusting to the new routine (something different every day).
Luckily, I have a garden that needs me.  The last couple of weeks I have been spending an hour or two early in the morning every day, taking on small projects.  The heat and humidity of August in South Florida is too intense for any more outdoor time.  

My first project was to pressure clean the pavers in my back garden.  This is my least favorite job in the garden, but it most be done two to three times a year because our humid climate.
 I am letting this weed grow in between the pavers, I am very please with the results.

Another project was to work with my collection of  cactus and succulents.  The constant summer rain kills many of them and others need to be re-potted.

This corner of my garden gets a redo every couple of months.  I have a collection of potted plans that I rotate, depending on the season.
 I spray painted the yellow chairs today, they were a find from someone's garbage.
















Nothing is wasted in this garden, the old fountain leaked water, now is nest for a chicken with the help of Spanish moss.
















 How tall is this sticks on fire going to get?


Mango season is over, is now time for Dragonfruits,  These are the first two fruits of the season.  There were many flowers on the tree last week, so I expect more fruits in the coming days.





2 comments:

CIELO said...

Love it all... the yellow chairs, the potted plants, succulents and the nest for a chicken with the help of Spanish moss... awesome! Enjoy each moment!

Cielo

daisy g said...

It looks like you have plenty to keep you busy in your new lifestyle. You might consider taking a Master Gardener class or volunteering at a botanical garden or arboretum. So many possibilities! ;0D