Sunday, October 21, 2018

The disappearing city tree canopy

Most cities are experiencing the disappearing of their tree canopy.  Miami, my hometown is one of those cities.  We have two major problems working against us.  First is the rapid and out of control development that is taking most of the open land in our county.  The second is hurricanes, last year Irma hit the Florida Keys, close enough to Miami to cause devastation to our tree cover. I lost two trees in my front yard and many of my neighbors lost most of their trees.  The problem is that most people don't replace the down trees.  They don't want to have to deal with down trees the next time we have another storm.  These two combine issues are creating a city that is beginning to look like an urban desert, the evidence is clear when you see it from the air.    
A healthy tree canopy is important for the environment and it is important for wildlife, that is why I believe in creating a thick tree canopy in my garden.  Currently, I have ten trees, three palms, and many full-grown bushes in my small backyard.  Between my garden and my neighbor to the back of the house (who also loves trees), we have created a small oasis in our neighborhood.  Every day I am rewarded with visits from many species of birds, who stop by or make my garden their home.



Gardening in this kind of garden has its challenges, most of my backyard is now a shade garden.  I am trying to adapt to the type of plants that will thrive in this type of environment.  My collection of sun-loving plants like bougainvilleas and hibiscus are suffering but I will change,  that is the fun of gardening.

This week at the DragonFly Garden

The Powerpuff tree is in full bloom again, this tree blooms several times each year.  The flowers are very popular with pollinators, especially bees.


This orchid has flowers year around.

The lemons are ready

Birds visiting the DragonFly feeder this week.

The Painted bunting is back, this male is my favorite winter resident.  Last year I had two males and three females visiting the feeder on a regular basis.  I hope the rest of the family will show up soon.


I got a better picture of the Black-Throated Blue Warbler.  I guess is hanging around for a little longer.
 Regulars


1 comment:

CIELO said...

What's the name in Spanish for the Powerpuff flowers? I remember being so intrigued by them as a child in Cuba. I used to called them Carolinas. Is that the name?


Cielo