Saturday, May 11, 2019

I have my garden back

After several weeks of construction outside the house, I finally have my garden back.  First, we did the house roof, next came the painting and last we replaced all my rain gutters.  Needleless to say, my neatly compact garden did not fare well with workers coming in and out.  I tried to minimize the damage by moving plants out of the way, but that was not possible for those planted on the ground. 

Today I finished redoing the front garden.  As you all know my front garden faces west and we get hit with the hot Florida afternoon sun.  My choices are limited for this area, but you can't go wrong planting miniature ixoras, lantanas, and milkweed (food for the butterflies)  My ground orchids, have been there for years and are not bothered by anything.


My Fireball bush did not do so well during the construction, I had to dig it out and replanted in another spot.  I hope it survives. 

For color in a hot Florida summer, I recommend Purslane, it will bloom all summer long and is not very fussy about water


In the back of the garden, I took out an old trellis that was fallen apart and left everything else the same.

My rain barrels are back online, in time for the rainy season.

Happy Mother's day to my mom, my wife, my daughter, and all the mom's out there 

1 comment:

Stellamarina said...

The house looks very nice and you will be glad to have it all done as you go into retirement years. Lovely to check in and visit your garden as usual. We are getting those funny short legged spiders showing up in our garden lately as well. Aloha