Wednesday, April 21, 2021

There is always something to do in a South Florida garden

My Fire Dragon bush needed a trim for the summer.  Sometime during the fall I will do a hard cut back.

Before

This corner of the garden is under the mango trees and it gets shade all day.  I am using the white tubes as planters for ferns.   I got a new fern for my collection an Autumn Fern.

I cleaned this shady area and replanted the African Spear plants in the back.  I am not sure what to plant here, I am thinking a combination of Caladium and other shade loving plants.

This week at the DragonFly Garden

The Gardenia bush is full of buds and new flowers

I purchased four Milk Weed plants at Home Depot for my back garden.  They all come with Monarch eggs, this morning all four plants were down to sticks.

I have Blue Porter flowers all over the back garden, they are invasive and spread easily.  The flowers are very popular with pollinators, specially bees and Zebra butterflies. 

Some bromeliad don't flower every year, getting two beautiful bright orange flowers side by side is rare.  


 

3 comments:

Charlotte said...

Do you have any tips for caring for bromeliads? I’ve just separated some pups from the mother plant and I’m wanting them to bloom. Thanks!

Rusty in Miami said...

Bromeliads are not very fussy they will grow in containers or on the ground. Always keep the center cup of the plant with water and as general rule, bromeliads with spikes do well in sunny areas and those without spikes like shade or partial sun

Charlotte said...

Thanks. I didn’t realize some like sunny areas.