Sunday, December 30, 2007

My first attempt at creating a Bonsai


This week I started reading “The Bonsai Handbook” by David Prescott. The book gives a

historical background of the origin of bonsais and a how to create, collect, and maintain your bonsai.
One thing the writer stresses is not being afraid of having a tree die since it eventually happens to everyone attempting this art (and growing bonsais is an ancient art in the Orient). With this in mind, I decided to work on my first bonsai.
We were given a beautiful ceramic pot as a Christmas present that looks perfect for a bonsai tree. I then purchased a Dwarf Juniper at Home Depot and floral wire from Michaels to guide the branches.








Dwarf Juniper before pruning

Any tree can be turned into a bonsai; this is the best part of this art, that every tree is different and the finished product is all up to person who is doing it. There is no right or wrong way to bonsai and this is what makes this gardening art so interesting.

4 comments:

Yolanda Elizabet Heuzen said...

You did very well with your first attempt at creating your own bonsai Rusty!

A very happy New Year to you and your family and loads of garden and blogging fun!!!!

Wicked Gardener said...

The "don't be afriad if it dies" advice is good. That's what happened to mine and I quickly lost interest. I probably should have researched as much as you have. Your first attempt looks good!

Meems said...

Rusty: Happy New year to you and your family. Your first bonsai looks like a good start. Keep us posted on your progress.

Lisa at Greenbow said...

I would like to try Bonsai. I just don't know... maybe I need to get a book for some inspiration. Just seeing your beginning makes me want to try. Hmmmm.... Keep us posted.