Thursday, February 05, 2009

Spanish Moss everywhere


You all have probably noticed the Spanish moss growing all over my garden. It all started with a small group of stems I found on the street a couple of years ago. Today it has become part of my garden décor.

The early morning sun's rays going through the Spanish moss gives the garden a spectacular shine.

Spanish moss is not biologically related to moss, it is related to the bromeliads family. It grows hanging from tree branches in full sun or partial shade. I also use it for ground cover on my potted plants and the birds like it for their nests.

9 comments:

Susan said...

Rusty, I love Spanish moss. I pick it up off the ground and toss it back on the trees. The more moss, the better!

Gail said...

Rusty, I love driving south and crossing into Spanish Moss territory...I know that I am in the deep south then! It makes my heart sing to see it! gail

Jan said...

It adds character to your garden. I think this is what I have to pay for in the crafty stores? It's sold in bags or comes in a pot of artificial plants? (Unless that stuff is fake Spanish moss...I don't know:)

Cheryl said...

I love it Rusty....absolutely love it....it adds another dimension to the garden....in fact I have Spanish moss envy......

Anonymous said...

We people with curly gray hair think Spanish moss is spectacularly good looking.

Unknown said...

Spanish Moss is all over here too. I like it except for the redbugs!!

Anonymous said...

It's amazing what a person can learn from blogs! I always thought Spanish Moss was just another name for a type of moss. And when I've actually seen Spanish Moss, I thought it was a type of dried grass! Thanks for this info. Wish we had it here in Calgary..:o)

Cindy H
Dragonflies

Connie said...

LOVE that Spanish moss...so cool! I have only seen in dried in the craft stores.

Dirt Princess said...

Your yard is great! I love all of your pics! Good job...enjoyed looking at everything