Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Starburst or Shooting Star


My Starburst tree is in full bloom, technically a shrub, my is already fully-grown. This plant is fabulous for tropical gardens, it has year-round color, besides the spectacular flowers, the leaves are olive green on top and purple on bottom.

This plant is low maintenance, fast growing; the flowers appear in late winter (January to March) and last around six weeks.

The only negative about this plant is that it sends up suckers everywhere and it can be a nuisance. The plant above is in my neighbors yard and it was a sucker from my plant.

6 comments:

Iowa Gardening Woman said...

How beautiful and Rosie looks like a wonderful garden companion.

RURAL said...

Is that a clethra? Am I right? Wow, that is beautiful.

We had a volunteer growing in the nursery bed at work, it even survived the extreme cold temps.

Let me know what it's botanical name is please, if you have time.

Jen

Catherine@AGardenerinProgress said...

That's very pretty, I've never seen one before.

Yolanda Elizabet Heuzen said...

Starbuirst is a great name for a plant with such lovely flowers.

Anonymous said...

I was just down in Key West last week and saw this beautiful bush in bloom. I had no idea it was called a Starburst...very appropriate!

Ami said...

Clerodendrum quadriloculare. I just bought one this morning.