Saturday, July 25, 2009

60% chance of rain


Fully open Aechmea Fasciata

For once the weatherman was right, the 60% chance of rain turned into 100% by 10am. I was only able to get a couple of hours of gardening this morning, on the agenda today was some weeding, mulching, transplanting and planting rain lilies bulbs, the one's I dug out last week. I hope the weather will clear later in the afternoon, and I can get in a couple more hours and finish the job (what can I say, gardening is a curse).
This time of the year, gardening in South Florida is a challenge, between the constant rain the heat, humidity and mosquitoes, sometimes I wish I could take a break, like northern gardeners do in winter. The problem is, that if I did, my garden would turn into an impenetrable jungle in no time at all.
This bromeliad is from the Portea genus, I don’t know the particular name, I got this one as a gift, and now I have many growing in the front garden, where they loves the full sun.
PS - I was able to go back to the garden between 5 and 7pm and finished.

10 comments:

ChrisC said...

I think we Florida gardeners should get a discount on OFF! and Cutter.your bromeliads are beautiful.I've nevver planted mine in the ground.They're all in the trees or in conch shells.
And no rain here,in Tampa,just sun and HOT!We could use some rain,as I moved some plants around this AM.

Jake said...

We haven't had any rain for awhile just heat. Today we had a pretty severe storm that dropped some muc needed rain. Although I was planning to mow closer to dark and then I couldn't.

Jake

Darla said...

We are getting just the threat of rain.......hoping it comes today.

Cheryl said...

Oh the ups and downs of the gardener....great when its done though.
Glad the rain eased so that you could finish...

Garden looks great....

Unknown said...

We've had enough rain this summer to do us for ages, so if you need more, Rusty...just say the word!

Tootie said...

Your garden is beautiful! I've enjoyed looking at all of your plants and flowers. Thanks for coming to visit my blog. I'll be keeping an eye on your garden. :-)

If you still have those extra bulbs around, I'd be happy if you would bring some here to Sanibel with you. :-)

TYRA Hallsénius Lindhe said...

WOW what an amazing flower and your photo of it is absolutely stunning.

greetings from Tyra in Vaxholm

TYRA'S GARDEN

Prospero said...

Impenetrable jungle in no time at all... I know what you mean.

Your bromeliads look great.

Iowa Gardening Woman said...

Funny to see Iowa's houseplants grown outside in your state. Lovely photo.

Brenda Maas said...

Hi. Just wondering what the name of the plant is in your header picture? We have it here also, growing over fences, etc.. Sure would like to know what it is called.