Sunday, April 01, 2018

Empty rain barrels

It has been so far a very dry winter in South Florida.  The last time we had a reasonable amount of rain, was at the end of January.  The water from my rain barrels is long gone.  I am using the tap to water my containers and watering the rest of the garden on a need basis, tap water is very expensive around here.  May is suppose to be the start of the the rainy season, I hope is comes early this year. 

Yesterday I did some gardening in the back garden.  I planted rose moss, periwinkle and Mexican heather.  Good plants that can handle our upcoming hot summer months.


















Hurricane Irma destroyed my sprinkler system, this weekend I finally decided to fix it.  The work is tedious and I don't have any plumbing genes in blood.


Blooming in the garden this week.

Perfect for this weekend, this hibiscus plant came back from the dead.  After much TLC, this weekend she bloomed for the first time.
 Angel's Trumpets
 My favorite bromeliad plant turns pink this time of the year and is full of tiny purple flowers.  The rest of the year is olive green.



Birds in the garden this week.

The Gray Cat bird, I love this little guy.  These birds are not easy to photograph, they spends most of the day hiding in dense shrubs and trees.  Soon they will be flying north  for the summer. 
I started this winter with visits to the garden from two male Painted Bunting.  It looks like one the males got himself two girlfriends and the other male was sent packing.  (These pictures were taken from inside my home)

Blue Jays are the air traffic controllers of the garden.  They control what birds will eat from the feeders and they also sound the alarm when predators are in the area. 

1 comment:

CIELO said...

Que hermoso... donde esta tu jardin, en Hialeah?

Cielo