Friday, August 23, 2019

August peak pruning and hurricane season

August is the month to prepare our gardens for whatever mother nature will throw at us.  Every year from mid-July to the end of August I become one mean pruning machine.  Two reasons, one the wet and hot summer makes the garden grow like if it was on steroids and the second is that August and September is the peak season for hurricanes.  I am writing this post while it rains outside, and something is forming over the Bahamas.  The weather people are telling us that it will be a wet weekend but that there is no chance of tropical formation as of now, (they been wrong before) but those in the Gulf of Mexico and mid-Atlantic states need to keep an eye on this no-name storm for next week.


















Back to pruning, I am done with my fruit trees and some of my flowering bushes except for my Powerpuff tree in the front garden.  This tree flowers several times each year and this month is full of flowers.  The Powerpuff flowers are very popular with bees and butterflies, so I will wait. 



These white orchids are in full bloom, the plant is getting bigger every year and looking better. 


Bromeliads are the only plants I have that love our hot and wet summer.

No comments: