Wednesday, August 07, 2019

Avocado season at the DragonFly Garden

Our summer season revolves around peak times for different tropical fruits.  Late summer is when our avocados are at their best.   This is my first-year harvesting avocados from my tree, my family and neighbors are all excited about the prospect of eating fresh avocados from my garden.  Avocados are native of Mexico and Central America, but they love the sub-tropical South Florida climate.  My tree is about eight years old, it was planted from a seed, that is the reason it took so long to have fruits.  So far, the testimonials are in, everyone agrees my avocados are of excellent qualities. 


















Avocados are not the only fruits in season this time of the year, dragon-fruits are also making an appearance.   Today I picked two dragon-fruits growing in my plumeria tree.  I get many flowers every year, but not many fruits.  The conditions must be perfect for the one-night flower to be pollinated by a moth.


Adult Julia butterflies are common in South Florida gardens all year around but are most abundant from August through October.




2 comments:

Meta/roses. said...

I have never seen a Dragon Fruit. Have to look for it at Publix.

Stellamarina said...

mmmm I would not have thought of growing a dragon fruit on a plumeria but I guess a mature tree would be strong enough. I know some people in Hawaii hand pollinate their dragon fruit flowers to get fruit although mine seem to fruit OK without doing it..
Aloha