Sunday, March 21, 2021

Spring at the DragonFly garden

Spring has arrived at the garden, the days are longer and the temperatures are rising a few degrees every day.  Our weather does not change much all year year-round, but the plants have an internal clock that is telling them is "show time".  In the last couple of weeks many plants in the garden are breaking out with beautiful blooms, like this Amaryllis.  
This is the second year that I get flowers from this plant and she is not done yet.  There are two more shoots coming up.   This plant came from my father's garden, she was sharing a container with a hibiscus and not doing very well.  I separated both plants and it made all the difference. This was so typical of the way my father garden, he  probably found the dead plant in someone's garbage can, took the  bulbs out and planted them in the first container he found in his garden.    


This has also been an excellent year for orchids and they all are flowering at the same time.   I don't have much luck with orchids in pots but this year is turning out to be a good year (maybe it has to do with Covid-19 and the amount of time that I'm spending in the garden). 






The bromeliads are keeping up with the flowering theme.  My favorite tinny bromeliad changed color from green to pink in a couple of days and shortly after the purple flowers come out. 




This past week was dedicated to the front garden, I took out this impatiens that were planted before Christmas.  I will try to get a couple of more months out of these flowers by putting them in containers under the shade of my back garden.





 

2 comments:

Misti said...

It looks fabulous!! The orchids are lovely.

Meta/roses. said...

Your garden and flowers are so beautiful.
I especially liked the orchids.