Friday, January 12, 2007

The first crop of Tomatoes is in



The first Cherry Tomatoes of the season are in, sweet as ever. This year my tomato plants are not doing very well. Most of the flowers are dropping and the leaves are shrivel. I don’t know if this is a sign of to much water or a deficiency in the soil. I’ll take any advise from all you northern experts out there. I also had to be on the look out for Hornworms and and a brown slug that I have never seen him before.
This year, I prepared the soil a month before planting. I mixed the soil with compost, peat moss and slow releasing fertilizer. I don’t like to use much fertilizer after the plants are in the ground, I only use the Scott liquid fertilizer.

Everything else in the garden is doing well except the tomatoes. Oh well them are the breaks, may be next year I’ll buy a book on how to grow tomatoes in Florida or I should concentrate on flowers.


2 comments:

Carol Michel said...

I don't know much about growing tomatoes in Florida, but that basket of tomatoes likes quite good.

Jeanette said...

Hi Rusty
Im back in the world of blogging .
Nice tomatoes.I dont like to fertilize either after planting I mainly plant a few Roma's my favorite. were been picking tomotoes for a month.